- Winter coats, snow pants and backpacks our children wore lasted up to three seasons.
- A vacuum cleaner that someone else put out for garbage day missing a handle and a cord ten years ago was repaired by my husband. It continues to be our only vacuum.
- Our GMC minivan, purchased in 2002 when it was already five years old, keeps on trucking. Its odometer passed 200,000 kilometres this past weekend.*
- Several times when my son and I went to the optometrist our prescriptions stayed the same; no new glasses were needed.
- Bed sheets, towels and mattresses did not need to be replaced for many years.
- Our current washing machine, which we purchased used about seven years ago, has required about $10 worth of repairs in the past month but does not need to be replaced.
*Because we walk, bike or use public transit to get to work, this is shockingly low for a vehicle of its age.
Related post: Minivan Not for Sale (also the most-read post on providenceplace)