Popular Posts

Saturday 15 September 2012

Simple Dutch Meal Remixed


This week I cooked a meal for a busy family with a multiple birth.  I had been told about the dietary restriction of no milk and no cheese, so I opted for simple.
   A Dutch meal I grew up with (and which is pretty much always in season) is “Hutspot.”  All you do is peel and cut up potatoes, carrots and onions according to the proportions you like best.  Boil until tender, then mash with milk, margarine and salt & pepper to taste.  It is often served with sausage and gravy.
   To remix this meal for the lactose intolerant, I sliced the potatoes as I would for scalloped potatoes and boiled them with the carrots.  Meanwhile I fried Oktoberfest sausage, cut in pieces, along with the onion.  Instead of mashing the vegetables, I stirred everything together with a little margarine.  My family ate it this way too, and it was a hit.

1 comment:

  1. I've made this for my family too! Even William will eat it - it is a great way to "sneak" in the veggies! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.