Popular Posts

Tuesday 29 July 2014

Food Bank Diet for Two, Part 1: Contents

During the summer of 2012 my family used the contents of a food hamper meant for five persons to make our meals for several days in a row.  This year, instead of forcing my children to go along with this plan, just my husband and I will take up the challenge of eating what was given out on July 28th, 2014 at the food bank where he works.  Using the list given by my husband, I spent $59.66 to purchase the equivalent of the food hamper today. As we did last time, the only things we will use that are not on the list below are 1) margarine 2) brown sugar and 3) flour.

Shopping List:
5 pounds of potatoes
1 can of condensed soup
2 sweet red peppers
2 small heads of broccoli
1 bunch of green onions
7 navel oranges
4 apples
1 can beans and sauce
1 box of whole wheat pasta (macaroni)
2 tall tubs (650 grams) of yogurt
8-pack of drinkable yogurt
small tub of creamed coconut milk
2.5 kg chicken caccatiore pre-made dinner*
loaf of bread
package of 8 hamburger buns
1 carton (1 L) milk
3 cups rolled oats
600 grams luncheon meat
500 grams turkey sausage patties
Package of lemon cream cookies
1.75 L orange juice
6 eggs
250 grams grated cheese
head of iceberg lettuce
small can of vegetables

*I could not find anything in the store to match this description, so we will do without this item.

First challenge: find out what I can do with creamed coconut milk.  Then, the diet starts tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.