Chances are even if you do not have a garden, your friends and neighbours will try to give you their surplus (and super-sized) zucchinis. This easy recipe turns this bland and abundant vegetable into tasty muffins .
Grate 2 cups of unpeeled zucchini (only peel any areas with blemishes) and combine with:
1 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbsp vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
Blend together with an electric beater or wooden spoon.
3 cups flour (half whole wheat, if desired)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3 tsp cinnamon
Add to the liquid ingredients and stir until blended. Fill muffin tins with batter 2/3 full. Bake 15-20 minutes in 350 degree oven. Makes about 16 muffins.
1) At the end, stir in 1/2 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
2) At the end, stir in 1/2 cup chopped nuts
3) At the end, stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips (or other chips)
4) With the grated zucchini, add 1/2 cup grated or chopped apple
5) With the grated zucchini, add 1/2 cup grated carrots
 This tried and true recipe is based on "Zucchini Bread" in the More with Less Cookbook, published in 1976.